Sunday, July 13, 2014

Looking for a hike in the Upper Valley?  I've been searching the internet for ideas for hiking and haven't found many, so I thought I would try describing some hikes that my husband and I take.  I have lost quite a bit of weight over the last year and a half. I never weigh myself, but went from stuffing myself into a size 16 dress to fitting quite well into a size 12.  I accomplished this by eating healthy and hiking in the summer and snowshoeing in the winter.  I am going to try to map and describe our hikes, which is difficult because there is no cell service in the wilds of West Fairlee, thus no "Map My Hike".  My husband (the Old Redneck) has a heart condition so rest assured that these hikes are short and easy, although we are trying to increase the length of our hikes with some success, but not as much as I would like.  Because of our jobs and family commitments, time is at a premium.

I mapped these hikes using Google maps, which I haven't been able to save, so I traced the image using a piece of paper and a pencil on top of my laptop screen, which probably isn't great for the screen, but hasn't hurt it so far. 

Yesterday's hike was really fun.  The starting point is on Russ Road off of Middlebrook Road in West Fairlee.  We parked at point A, with coordinates of N43 55.679' W072 14.371' .  When you are on Russ Road, headed away from Middlebrook Road, park on the righthand side of the road near the gate to the VAST trail.  You will be following VAST trails on this hike. Look for the place the VAST trail begins again on the other side of the road. There are two crossed poles across the entrance to the trail.  The coordinates for point B - the end of your hike, are N43 55.655' W072 14.846'.  According to the GPS, the distance is .41 miles but that is as the crow flies  - the actual trail is much longer as it curves up and around and sometimes seems to double back. The  

We each have Garmin Etrex 10 GPS's, which I highly recommend.  The Etrex 10 is one of the cheapest models.  It's easy to use the compass feature once you get the hang of it, and I love the Trip Computer.  The Trip Computer tells you how much ground you've covered, in real distances, not as the crow flies, and tells you how much time you've spent moving and how much time you stand still (sometimes an eye opener). In terms of actual length, the trail is about .75 nukes,

If anyone buys one of these or has one and wants some pointers in their use, email me and we can have a conversation about them.  I love mine but it was tricky to learn how to use it.

Somewhere very close to the beginning, the trail is very boggy and soggy.  Don't worry, it is perfectly dry for the whole way after this very short (but very wet) segment. Also at the beginning, you will come to a rope across the trail. There is a road (really a driveway) that dissects the trail at this point. Cross the road and go under or over the rope on the other side. The ropes, gates and poles are there to discourage ATV'ers, not hikers. Shortly after you cross the driveway,  you will come to a gate  with signs saying, in effect, "This is a VASA trail, please respect the property of the landowners".  Go around that gate and follow the path. You will come to a clearing that is actually an old log landing, with some leftover logs pushed off to the right. The trail seems to veer off in several directions. Follow the path that bears to the right and up the hill. There are several places where the trail seems to branch off. These are mostly dead ends, and are mini log landings and log roads. If you bear to the right every time, you will be fine.

 Eventually you will see a nice stone wall on your left. You will follow that stone wall for a while, and eventually it will veer off to the left and soon after that the trail ends at a T.  Take a right.  There will be a swampy area to your right.  Follow the path.   To your left, look for a round stone structure off the path a little bit into the woods. .  We can't figure out what this was - maybe a barn foundation, maybe some kind of loading dock for logs.  Keep going and you will see where a stream forms a little pool and then goes under the path - there is another one of those stone structures past the pool, and you have reached your destination. There is a nice clearing there with lots of apple trees.  Never found a cellarhole but it's a nice place to explore, with a continuation of the trail at the other end of the clearing for those with more time and stamina.

When I get to the clearing, my trip calculator reads .75 of a mile.  The last time I did this hike I continued through the clearing/meadow and found where the trail picks up again, and continued up the hill until I had reached a mile.  The trail gets rocky and has been washed away by the hard rains we've had recently, but I did make it the whole mile.  On your way back, be sure not to miss the left hand turn.

If you have a GPS and you follow the distance closely (I always do), there are points where the distance to your destination will increase.  This is because the trail curves and at that particular point, you are actually moving away from your destination. It doesn't do this often or for very long.  It should straighten out in a minute or so, and your distance will continue to decrease.

At first, I thought that I would not recommend going on this hike without a GPS because some of the turns are tricky. I went back and repeated the hike before I posted this, and I think you would probably be okay following my directions and bearing to the right at any intersections. I bring my GPS every time I go into the woods when I'm not very, very familiar with the trail.


If anyone tries this hike, please comment here and tell me how you liked it and please give suggestions and hints for better directions.

Right before you get to the clearing, a brook makes a small pool before it goes under the trail.

 


This is a picture of the second circular stone structure. We can't figure out what these are.

 



This is the clearing, or meadow.  This land was once a farm.  Some people call it "The Ordway", and it may have been part of the Ordway farm in the late 1800's.

No comments:

Post a Comment