Sunday, January 6, 2013

Happy New Year Upper Valley!




Thank you and Happy New Year to everyone who's reading my blog.  I am getting more readers than I ever thought I would.  Every time I look on the blogger dashboard and see my statistics count, it is more and more exciting.  I can't wait to see what 2013 brings.  Please, please email me at uppervalleyanonymous@gmail.com if you have suggestions, or even better, if you would like to contribute some posts.  I would like for this blog to eventually become a forum for the whole Upper Valley - anything anyone would like to contribute: news articles, sports articles, interviews, issues you would like to comment on of local or national importance, recipes, cleaning tips, recommendations for a great restaurant, mechanic, supermarket (although I'm absolutely partial to Shaw's by JC Penney's, I respect others' opinions), please, email me with your ideas.

When I am driving to and from West Lebanon, or up and down the interstates, I can't help but think about the Upper Valley, and the kids and young adults here, and say a prayer for the kids and young adults in Newtown, Connecticut.  The debate will rage about gun control and mental health services, but in the meantime, even in the Upper Valley, there are people of all ages who are suffering with various problems that seem insurmountable.  You never know who is experiencing whatever kind of pain and trauma, and how much just a kind word or a kind deed might help. 

This year, go out of your way to feed a hungry kid, help an old lady cross the street or carry in her groceries.  My daughter's boyfriend was driving home from school one day when he saw an elderly couple stopped on the side of the road with a flat tire and he stopped to help them.  This is the kind of thing we should all do to make someone else's day. 

Sometimes I think the problem is that everyone is so busy and stressed just trying to keep their heads above water that they can't stop to help someone else.  Not many of us have the spare time of a high school student.  Usually we are running late, racing the clock, trying to make up the five minutes we lost somewhere so that we won't be five minutes late arriving somewhere else.  Do what you can, even if it is just letting someone go in front of you in West Leb. (I don't understand why more people aren't using that underpass between K-Mart and JC Penney's). Compliment a stranger.  Say please and thank you *all the time*.  What comes around goes around.  At the very least you will reap the benefits of knowing you made someone else's day a little better.

And again, email me at uppervalleyanonymous@gmail.com and let me know if you want to contribute to this blog!

No comments:

Post a Comment